Monday, October 13, 2014

Plants (some), re-planted!

On Saturday I replanted the betabel/acelga in a wooden crate lined with a garbage bag and the lechuga, apio, perejil and a few of the smaller acelga in a big rusty bowl.

The resources I found online (on HubPages) suggested that beets are best grown in containers in soil 10” deep spaced about 3” apart to give enough space for the roots to develop. It also recommended growing them from seed rather than transplanting (whoooops), so we’ll see how these take. I did my best not to damage the roots when I separated them (each “plant” had three or four plants in it) so I’m hoping that they survive.  



Based on how the herbs seemed to be fairing after a few days on my porch, I decided to plant the lettuce along with the celery and parsley, both of which still looked green and vibrant. I also stuck in the three smallest acelga that didn’t quite fit into the box with the others.


The thin leafed herbs – manzanilla (chamomile) and eneldo (dill) – both looked a little wilty, not sure why. Maybe not enough drainage? Need deeper soil? Too much sun? I isolated them to try to figure out what’s up… will do a little research as well.

I also reserved the mint and chives (because they’ll take over just about anything.. they’ll go solo), the basil because I forgot about it (!!), and the rosemary and thyme that I’ve read grow best in similar, slightly drier conditions. It’s still been pouring here lately but dry will be no problem in a few weeks when the rains stop. For the next six months the battle will be irrigating.


Other exciting news… the rabanos/radishes have sprouted (unless I forgot which side I planted with which…)! By day three the first had sprouted, and by day six, nine out of nine are poking through. No green news from the spinach yet, but I’m hoping they’ll start poking out their little cotyledon soon.

I didn’t get around to picking up my seeds from the market and I’m all out of soil, so this was all of my garden work for the weekend.


Not quite garden related, but we got a pumpkin. We opened it up (by smashing it with a hammer, naturally) and I roasted half in my tiny toaster oven and steamed/boiled the other half. Seeds still waiting to be toasted (and some planted in the compost). Breads, pies, and more pies coming soon.


Happy planting!

PS. Hello from the garden helpers.


No comments:

Post a Comment