Friday, October 10, 2014

Parque Viveros and first plants

Day 1 (Tuesday October 7, 2014)

After hunting around the city for vegetable plants and seeds without too much luck, we wound up at Parque Viveros. I’d been to the park but never the commercial nurseries, and oh what a gem. If you go with a list you’ll find everything you’re looking for, and if you go without one you’ll find yourself with more plants than you know how to get back home, if, like us, you came on foot (pro-tip: find a friend with a truck… still working on that one).

We wanted to buy some espadas (real name: forneos?) but they were too large for us to carry or take in a cab, and none (or very few) of the vendors have their own vehicles for delivery. There are fletes available out front but a short trip will run you an easy 350 pesos.



I ended up buying an assortment of small herbs at 10 pesos (!!!) a pop, some smaller succulents in cute tin cans for about 20, and a larger hanging succulent (Cola de borego) for 100 pesos. We also got a 20 kg bag of soil for 35 pesos. The only vegetables I found were acelga/betabel and lechuga (and got two of each) but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more somewhere where we didn’t make it.


Oh, and a venus fly trap. We’ll probably need about twenty of them working overtime to even make a dent in our mosquito problem. Don’t even get me started on how itchy I am.

I also finally found VEGETABLE SEEDS. Now it seems silly that it was this difficult – the majority of the stands there sell them and I wouldn’t be surprised to find other house plant sellers that do. I only bought two packets of seeds– one of spinach and one of radish, because on our last trip to Mercado Lazaro Cardenas we placed a request for “one of each please!” for any vegetable seeds the plant seller could get us. We’re picking them up this weekend. :)



I planted the seeds in an egg carton to get started and am excited to see how the little buggers take off. The packets say sunny conditions so check-mark for that. I’m still toying with what exactly I’ll use for pots once I start replanting the herbs and once these guys grow.



That’s all for now! Happy planting!

PS. Any tips for mosquitoes? My apartment is swarmed with them and we can’t seem to keep them out or kill them fast enough. Some screens on the windows probably wouldn't hurt.

One of the garden helpers.

No comments:

Post a Comment