Tuesday, October 21, 2014

More seeds planted

Delayed post from October 15, oops!

Some little/big updates: After about a week since planting the spinach has germinated is poking out of the soil (8/9 seeds). Whoohoo!


On Monday night, I picked up some more soil and seeds at the grocery store and planted six seeds of each: poro, col morada, coliflor, zanahorias, calabacita redonda, and pepino in a broad eggcrate we picked up from the taco stand downstairs. I planted nine brocoli seeds in another egg carton today (Wednesday).

I also started… compost! We had bought a tray of wheat grass to put on the porch for the dogs to make them feel more outside and since they like to chew on grass. They decide it was better to scatter it all over the living room rug whenever we went out, so that became the dry grassy base for the compost. I’ll need to switch it to a bigger bin soon (now!) and hopefully can find some worms to get things moving.

Bit of everything, acelga back, new seeds on sides,
compost front and center. :) 
The radishes were looking strong so I filled another crate with soil and planted the nine seedlings. I was surprised by how much their roots had already taken off – many of them were attached to or poking out the bottom of the egg carton after just a week. I also seeded some more radishes into the rows making 15 planted so far in the crate (the other half is still empty), and seeded another five in the spaces in the lettuce pot that seemed deep enough.

Go radish, go!
My poor dill plant is looking even wiltier!! I think I need to get it into some deeper soil fast, but I don’t have any suitable containers at the moment. A yogurt container would be perfect, but maybe I’ll use a soda bottle or a milk carton in the meantime.

The beets and acelga also look like they’re struggling a bit in their new home, but I’m going to give them another week or so before I worry that they’re too cramped or need more/less sun etc. I’m starting a spreadsheet that I’ll attach later on as a google doc to chart the growth times for each plant from seed to harvest.


I set up a sweet potato to start growing slips in a mug by the kitchen window (using this guide). Once these take off, the plan is to put them up on the roof so that the vines can hang down over our terrace. 

Sunny corner behind the boiler
In other news, the pumpkin has become two (cheesecake) pumpkin pies, two batches of pumpkin muffins, and a spicy pumpkin soup. We don’t have a fridge at the moment so I couldn’t freeze any and didn’t want to leave it out too long. Pumpkin pie lasts much longer, and also goes much faster. J

   
Hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment